Perhaps nothing disfigures the woman’s face so much as a second chin: facial features become blurred, harmony is lost and as a result, a few years are added to the appearance. The presence of fat in the chin and deep to the subcutaneous muscle of the neck is seen as a sign of aging of the lower part of the face, but there are also young people, left alone elderly ones, with a morphologically round face, which implies the deposition of chin fat. In others, the genetic predisposition contributes to the production of unwanted deposits of chin fat, which is present in their profile regardless of weight loss and exercise. Moreover, the fat deposits on the second chin are quite stubborn – they often cannot be removed by the most skillful massage or regular face-building, so some eventually have to decide even on liposuction.
While liposuction and cosmetic surgery are considered gold standards for the removal of chin fat, surgical intervention is not suitable for all patients and carries a potential danger of surgical complications, including a longer recovery period, as well as uneven chin contour. Despite the wide achievements in the field of aesthetic medicine with the aim of improving the appearance, there are very few available non-invasive ways to reduce the amount of chicken fat, backed up by reliable evidence.
Injectable treatment for neck and chin fat “Kybella”: what’s the point?
Kybella consists of synthesized deoxycholic acid at a concentration of 10 mg / ml. Deoxycholic or secondary bile acid is produced in the human body naturally from primary bile acid under the influence of intestinal microflora. One of its functions is the destruction and absorption of fats in the intestine. When injected into the subcutaneous fat, the drug causes the destruction of fat cells. Destroyed cells can not subsequently accumulate and store fat.
Kybella is the first approved by the Federal Food Safety and Drug Administration (FDA), an injectable drug that is used to reduce excess fat deposits in the chin area.
The gist of the procedure:
The procedure for administering the drug is safe, non-surgical, and performed in a patient-friendly setting. If necessary, a local anesthetic cream can be applied to the injection zone.
The process of drug administration is done by injection on a previously marked mesh on the skin of the neck. The number of injections depends on the specific needs of the patient and ranges from 14 to 50 per session. The procedure is fairly simple and takes about 20 minutes. Additional time for recovery is not required. Most patients see a noticeable result after only 2-3 sessions. The number of sessions depends on the amount of fat tissue that needs to be eliminated. To completely get rid of the second chin with a large amount of fat deposits may require about 6 sessions of 50 injections at intervals of one month.
Unlike the use of injectable fillers and neuromodulators on the face, maintenance therapy with desoxycholic acid is not required for the passage of time, and there is no need to use surgical methods to reduce sagging of the skin. Clinicians should ensure that there is sufficient chin fat to justify the introduction of deoxycholic acid.
Advantages of Kybella treatment in comparison to other methods of double chin removal:
- Surgical liposuction is performed in one visit, but with surgery, recovery will be more prolonged and more severe
- Injection of Kybella may require monthly sessions for half a year, but it is less invasive, you will avoid surgery, anesthesia, risks of infection and a prolonged recovery period. Side effects include swelling, pain at the injection site, bruising, numbness, each of them passes independently for several days up to a week;
- In terms of price, Kybella can be a little more expensive than surgical liposuction (depending on the number of sessions), but the price is quite comparable;
- It is important to note that Kybella can only be used to remove fat in the area of the second chin. If you have saggy skin in this area, then the procedure will not be able to solve this problem and surgical liposuction may be the best choice for you.
- Thread lifting for double chin can have many complications, such as infectious inflammation, necrosis, thread migration or thread visibility. The most often adverse effect of thread lifting is no effect at all. If there is an effect, it lasts up to 4-11 months, requires maintenance.
Therefore, at present, Kybella injections are the simplest way to get rid of the double chin, with the most favorable safety profile, quick procedure, no downtime, guaranteed effect and permanent results.