Pre Surgery Instructions
Please read carefully before your surgery
- Eat normally before the procedure (breakfast or lunch). You do not need to fast.
- If you are taking a baby aspirin for preventative reasons, please discontinue 7 days prior to your appointment and 2 days post-operative.
- Certain vitamin supplements also need to be discontinued for 7 days prior to the surgery and 2 days post-operative. These include Echinacea, Garlic, Gingko biloba, Ginseng, Kava Kava, St. John’s Wort, Valerian Root, Vitamin E.
- If you take other medications, please continue to take them. You do NOT need to stop taking blood thinners.
- Pre-medicate with your usual antibiotics if required by your primary medical doctor if you have had:
- Artificial joints within the last year
- Heart valve replacement or murmurs
- Organ transplant
- Inform our office if you have a pacemaker or defibrillator.
- The surgical area should be clean and without make-up. We recommend taking a shower the morning of or the evening prior to your surgery because you will have a pressure bandage on for 48 hours that cannot get wet. Dress comfortably and bring a jacket or sweater, the office can be cold.
- Plan on the following activity restrictions to promote good healing:
- You will not be able to return to work the day of the surgery.
- Do not plan on leaving town while your sutures are in place.
- Do not smoke the day of your surgery or during the healing process.
- Do not swim until the sutures are removed.
- Do not engage in strenuous exercise or work for 7 days (14 days if the procedure is on the legs or arms). This includes lifting, pushing, or pulling.
- Be prepared to rest and use icepacks for the first 24-48 hours after the procedure. Pick up Tylenol Extra Strength 500mg, Ibuprofen 200mg, vaseline/and bandage supplies.
- You may bring a book, magazine, or personal music/headset for the procedure. You may be there all day.
- It is ok to drive yourself to and from the procedure.
- Please feel free to have a family member accompany you in the waiting area.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call our office at 941.907.0222 and we will be glad to assist you.